Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A Successful Conclusion?

DSCF3333a

Typecast068

Post-Script: I visited a few thrift/antique stores again this week, and walked away with this Sharp Elsi Mate EL-8131 calculator, for $5. What attracted me to it was the fluorescent display, common to many calculators of the 1970s. It works fine, though my scanner image of it obscures the display, which is reading the first six digits of Pi. And, I passed on 10 typewriters at two thrift stores. Only one or two were of interest, especially a Smith-Corona Super 12 in beige color, whose body resembled a Silent but with wide carriage. The "W" key linkage was broken, else I'd have picked it up. Here's the Sharp calculator:
Sharp_Calculator001

Top photo via Fujifilm X10. That's a $20 X-Pen atop my Olivetti Underwood 21, filled with Private Reserve Velvet Black ink.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill M said...

I need to look for some of that paper. I've always liked those old fluorescent displays. Much better than the grundgy old LCDs on everything these days.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I have an EL=8, the first one they made, with "0" being the lower half of an "8". Big difference, I paid $345 for mine, since it was new, just on the market.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home