Friday, October 16, 2015

I Sure Showed Them!

P1110100aa
Typecast104

Post-Script: A lot of hay has been made in the business world around customer satisfaction. Every day, it seems, new and inventive ways are concocted of convincing you and I to become someone's customer. Even more important are return customers, since the market for new customers - like those who've never heard of the Yellow M - is much more limited. And so job one, to borrow a marketing phrase from an American automaker, is to get you to come back. So, in that context, it doesn't matter why you come back, right? So long as you do come back. Hence my theory about customer dissatisfaction as a business model. Because the worse thing for a business, more terrible than unhappy customers, is apathy. And unhappy customers at least care, more so than apathetic customers.

Photo via Lumix G5 and Brother label maker. Heck, I should've used my Brother typewriter for this piece, but I didn't; instead I used the Olivetti Lettera 22.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

To paraphrase: The only bad press is *no* press. :D

I'd say you're on to something. I've always wondered why people buy Fiats, despite the total lack of reliability and (as I discovered when riding in one of their new mini-cars) anything even remotely resembling comfort. Maybe it's Style. I still don't understand it.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Bill M said...

I've done that survey several times at one that opened close to where I work. First time due to bad service, second time due to very inaccurate order, third time a bit of both. They finally got the message. Now they double check everything, each person mentions my order, and the wait time has been greatly reduced even during peak hours. Best thing is each complaint was registered on a receipt for buy one and get one free.

4:26 PM  
Blogger D. Loon said...

It reminds me of something I read in Cory Doctorow's _Content_ about a bad review of one of his books on Amazon that told people to go read the ebook and see for themselves how bad it was. He wrote "Hell, this guy is working for me!"

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home