Monday, March 26, 2018

The Pen & The Sword

Remington Quiet-Riter
Typecast020

Post-Script: I'm in the process of producing a video about how I go about servicing these machines, once brought home from the thrift or antique store. I'm not a professional servicer, and lack both experience and the necessary equipment, such as specialty tools and a deep tank for thorough immersion cleaning of these intricate machines. So I do the cleaning by hand, with brushes, swabs, alcohol, light oil and other degreasers. As a result, sometimes problems can continue to persist for a while, which I usually work out by just using the machine, working its escapement and type bars enough to get those final residual amounts of gunk from the tight nooks and crannies. This also gives me opportunity to get to know the individual characteristics of the machine better, as I employ it for a prolonged duration of writing. Thus far, I will say that this Remington Quiet-Riter is one fine machine, both in condition and design. I'm pretty impressed.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

Nice acquisition! I've had a few of these, and have always been pleased with them except for the small annoyance of the ribbon spool system. Looking forward to your new video (:

8:01 AM  
Blogger Richard P said...

Nice, clean looking Quiet-Riter.

Have you seen the artist whose sole idea is to disassemble typewriters and turn them into what look like machine guns? A distasteful concept, in my eyes.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Joe V said...

Yes I have. I understand the symbolism of course, but perhaps old PCs and Macs might be a better source of parts for such a collage, and more apt in the symbolism, considering typewriters will likely remain more useful into the future than a 20 year old dead computer.

7:15 PM  
Blogger DonN said...

The Quiet-Riter is as well made as any machine I've examined. I bet this will outlast the best of them.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Michael Jones said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing

wsi industries inc
Graffiti Removers

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home