Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Restaur-RANT

P1160357a

Typecast016

Post Script: Kind of a mixed subject matter blog posting. A great day discovering both the Fisher Space Pen and Rite in the Rain notepads at my favorite stationary store, Pen & Pad, which I've frequented since my teen years. Then, the typewriter bone started to tingle, and I headed down to one of the repair shops to see what they had in stock, when I passed a favorite thrift store, The Indoor Flea Market, where I found this Remington Ten Forty for a good price, and it was completely functional. I did end up at the typewriter repair shop to get a fresh ribbon spooled onto the oddball-style spools (the machine was made in Holland). The old guy who runs the place knows me as the guy with all the typewriters who refuses to get any of them serviced at his shop. One of these days, he just needs to be patient.

Tomorrow, I meet up with several friends, we're planning a thrift store run in search of blazer jackets, then an afternoon photo stroll along Central Avenue, me with the Kodak Retina IIIC, and the Soviet-era Zorki IV rangefinder being loaned to one of the guys for the afternoon. This guy is also going to be the recipient of an Olivetti Lettera 22 - yes, I'm offloading one from my collection to a good home, who promises to work on his science fiction novel with it. He also thinks he now needs a Soviet-era rangefinder camera. So, it looks like I do have some influence upon the younger generation, after all. The third fella will be shooting with his iPhone 4S. A good day is expected.

5 Comments:

Blogger Richard P said...

Yeah. I agree. And now we both sound just like Andy Rooney -- particularly since we use typewriters!

9:41 PM  
Blogger deek said...

Both your ice tea and steak peeves echo my own!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Cameron said...

The Remington is lovely to look at, and the typeface is very even and clear. Great find!

I totally agree with you about restaurants. Every last point.

I fail to see the value of eating at most places these days. I don't mind paying top dollar for GOOD food and service, but I get very angry at poor food and indifferent service at today's high prices!

1:14 PM  
Blogger L Casey said...

Oh, the drinks without prices. How they irk me to no end. I just want to know how much it costs compared to the larger size! I'm gonna drink it either way!
I completely agree with just about all of this, and would probably add a few more. Hence, why I do not go out to eat much.
Thanks for sharing!

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think what I hate most- is servers that are constantly interrupting every conversation that starts......I cherish my rare moments out with the family all sitting together, and the servers just seem to ruin it just for the sake of 'looking' busy/helpful. I have learned to ignore their hand wiping on their pants, holding my drink by the rim, and reaching past my drink/plate to the person next to me all while dragging their clothes thru my food.....no, maybe I haven't.....Kathy

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home