Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A Few Stories of My Own

P1100059a

Typecast054

Post-Script: While writing this piece (on fountain pen in my Staples sugar cane pulp composition book) this afternoon in the Man Cave, I also did some practice audio recording sessions using the Sony PCM-M10, including a recording of myself reading this piece, using both the on board mikes and the external handheld dynamic mike. I used manual record levels, set to "3" for the internal mikes and around "6" for the dynamic mike, which was very clean sounding. I had the door of the shed open, and the sound of the afternoon breeze tinkling the wind chimes and whistling through the screened windows could easily be heard on the recordings using the internal mikes, which are omnidirectional. For a more serious studio recording environment, I'm going to have to make some sound reflecting panels and find a quiet spot in the house. I'm actually kicking around the idea of using the garage-based darkroom for that purpose, though it's cold in the winter and thus I don't want to store a computer out there (plus the fan noise from the computer can easily be picked up on microphone). But still, it would be a quiet, out-of-the-way spot to do some studio microphone work.

For some reason I began these test recordings with the line "This is Joe Van Cleave with another Missive From the Man Cave..." and I really liked how that sounds as a potential title for a podcast. Not that I'll be starting a podcast anytime soon, but it's fun to practice, and dream.

Here's a link to the Sony PCM-M10 from B&H Photo. I noticed the price has gone up 20 bucks since I ordered mine on Sunday. Strike while the iron's hot. Yes, there are more capable field recorders out there, but it's always the issue of how much money do you want to spend versus how much capability does one need. I'm hoping I made a wise choice.

Here's the link to Transom's website.

Typecast via Smith-Corona Silent.

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Thanks for the Transcom link. Just what I need. I am sort of a recorder nut, and must have 12 or more small digital recorders. I am amazed at the quality you can get from shirt pocket and smaller devices. Have you considered using your car for a small temporary improvised recording studio? It should be a pretty dead environment, without going to a lot of trouble. A good LED lamp is all you need.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Bill M said...

Joe, I had one of those cassette recorders as a kid too. They were really neat. I only wish I would have recoreded more folks I knew while growing up. I should have taken more photos of those same people too.
The things we do not think of doing when we are young and wish we did as we grow older.

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home