Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Continual Mystery

DSCF1050a

Typecast206

Post-Script: I understand and respect the history of the indigenous American peoples, but also suffer from the delusion that I'm also, somehow, an indigenous person, my family having settled into the New World sometime in the 17th century. When does the statute of limitations on empire-building, power-hungry European dominance expire? Never, perhaps.

Years ago, I drove out toward Cabezon Peak and captured a nice image onto black & white film in my Bronica 645-format camera, a print of which is hanging in my living room, one of the nicest silver gelatin prints I've ever made. I'm hoping to get out there again soon, when the winter weather dries up and the dirt roads are more passable.

Speaking of Cabezon Peak, here's a Bureau of Land Management article about it, while here's the BLM's Flickr set of photos of the area. I hope to make more of my own images of the area this year.

Typecast via Olivetti Underwood 21, photos via Fujifilm X10.

Bonus Image: DSCF1072a

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard P said...

Fine photos, very mysterious and evocative.

I well remember a trip through New Mexico some 25 years ago, particularly Acoma Pueblo.

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They should replace that unattractive Indian sign with a totem pole - assuming totem poles were common to the indigenous people of that area?

9:39 PM  
Blogger Rob Bowker said...

Hey, I like that sign the way it is. Those place and people names are sheer poetry.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed with your photo of the indian gas station logo - a strange shadow of the original inhabitants of this country

3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home