Tuesday, September 11, 2012

It Took About a Month





If it had arms, it might look like some makeshift robot, at least from the opening photograph.

Okay, I didn't work that feverishly on this project, else it would have been finished in about half the time. But I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out, providing it actually does what it's advertised to do, which is to keep film clean while drying.

It is tall, however, but light in weight. A 36-exposure roll of film is about 5 feet long, so the cabinet had to be about 6 feet tall to provide enough extra room for the electrical bits like the fan, switches and wiring, and the HEPA filters and air inlet and outlet. But it rolls on casters, and should be easy to roll into a corner of my office, or stay out in the darkroom, while the film is drying.

A friend of mine just this week purchased a Kodak Retina IIA camera, a German-made rangefinder from the 1950s, and he's anxious to begin processing his own B/W film alongside mine. This cabinet should, we are hoping, facilitate our renewed interest in film photography.

Typecast via L.A.R.O.P. on Remington Ten Forty with yet more ribbon feed problems, images via Lumix G5.

(Errata: 1st paragraph, last sentence should read "Another good question would be why I didn't do this about 15 years ago". Second to last paragraph, second sentence should say "enough" instead of "anough".)


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, I'm with you all the way with this. I think it will work as well as you expect it to. Good work for a good purpose.

== Michael Höhne

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home