Wednesday, September 05, 2012

L.A.R.O.P. - At Last!

P1000306a

Typecast041

P1000304a

Typecast043

P1000307a

Typecast042

Post-Script:
What I didn't mention, because I was too involved in typing to think deeply about it, was how to plan for page breaks after the fact, the realization that you have to cut your scroll up into sheets for scanning. I suppose I could plan for such breaks and give myself some additional space between paragraphs.

I scanned the sheets with a stack of white printer paper as a backing, it keeps the curly paper flat, and makes the paper's background appear whiter - it's airmail thin, and whatever's behind it will show through somewhat.

Alternatively - this just came to me - I could fashion a template from black craft paper, a 6" wide window of a certain length, and could simply place the template upon the scanner's glass and move the scroll past the window for each section that needs to be scanned. This would keep the scroll intact.

I also thought of letter-writing, and the prospect of folding the scroll (it's the perfect width for small envelopes) accordion style. My dear Aunt in Colorado Springs, who herself has an old upright Underwood, might be amused at receiving such a missive.

3 Comments:

Blogger L Casey said...

This is such a wonderful idea! I will now seek out one of these rolls of paper and have a go at it myself. I have seen a few pictures of setups dedicated to Jack, but this one is well thought out and anything but a novelty. Awesome!

7:28 PM  
Blogger deek said...

I've used my BAROP in my Selectric, which allows me to bypass some of the issues that may occur with a carriage moving back and forth with a fixed paper roll.

Although, you could probably fashion something to the carriage so the paper roll moves with it. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could even attach a sort of cutting edge to slice the roll when you are done.

There's a lot of fun stuff going on there!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Art said...

Brilliant. I'm a fan of the brown kraft paper--the kind that you can buy at Home Depot to mask off areas when you're painting, but this is just pretty. I think I'll be stopping at NAPA--fifteen bucks isn't that bad for a roll of paper like that... granted, that does mean I need to find a decently working typewriter to type it with...
Sidenote--Walmart has cheapie writing tablets that come in a couple sizes that are pretty nice too. And narrow paper works well with the one decent feed roller on my #3...

Art

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home