Friday, September 04, 2015

A Gem of a Day

Zion N.P.

"A Gem of a Day"

Post-Script: In keeping with this trip's sub-theme of typecasting on the road, I should make mention of a quaint feature of our motel room, that being an analog CRT television. With the digital TV switchover in the US some years ago, flatscreen sets are the norm. Except in the hinterlands, it would seem. Since I'm a former TV repairman, nostalgia this evening is tempting me away from the Internet or a good book.

I made mention in the piece about the enormous scale of Zion Canyon, making it difficult to capture its essence in one conventional photograph. What I think would work is an ultra-wide angle pinhole camera, 4"x5" format, shooting color transparency film.

I should also mention that, for the title image, the tree was almost directly overhead, and I was using a 14mm equivalent angle-of-view lens; that should give you a sense of scale, how high those cliffs actually are.

Photo via Fujifilm X10, typecast via Hermes Rocket.

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

The family visited Zion when I was about 10 years old, and I was scared to death that the walls would crumble during the night and we would be smashed to bits. I couldn't wat to get out of the canyon.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

Impressive! Thanks for sharing the vistas you're enjoying (:

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home