Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Smuggling Typewriters to Phoenix

P1010835
Typecast022
Typecast023

Post-Script: Yes, we had fun. Do you blame us? No. But you should be jealous. The thing to do is organize your own Type-In, build your local typewriter community. After my first visit to the Phoenix Type-In several years ago I was inspired to start similar events here locally. Because no one else was going to do it, and I want to see a vibrant community closer to home.

I posted an overview of this event, the embedded link is below. I'll also be posting follow-on interview videos, stay tuned for that.

What do you talk about when you're driving cross-country with a fellow typewriter nerd? Typewriters, obviously. Sometimes the conversation goes far afield. Like when Kevin was driving and I was daydreaming, and came up with the idea that perhaps I could figure out how to build a prototype typewriter out of mainly wooden parts, something a crafty person could do at home with basic tools. Wood, some metal bits, strings or wires. What would be the point, you ask? Why, to start a DIY typewriter movement, of course. People more skilled than I would 3D print the parts, but I see it essentially as a piano-like mechanism. Start simple: upper case only, perhaps carbon paper at first to negate the need for a ribbon system. An all-mechanical device, bigger than a real typewriter at first. Maybe sell kits that people could assemble. Would I actually do this? Hard to tell. I'm a dreamer, always coming up with hair-brained ideas. Maybe you can take this idea and run with it.

I spent a bit of time this morning, between editing video, working on the Skyriter. It took a lot of degreasing and cleaning to get it running right, plus I had to fix the line advance problem. It's pretty good now, except a few letters are not perfectly aligned. But for an elite (12 CPI) machine it has a pretty decent imprint, so I probably won't mess with it further.

Here's that video I mentioned:

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill M said...

Type-Ins are great fun. I totally enjoy them. This year I did not make Traverse City. I'm glad yours went well and was a great success. I'd be a real pleasure to be at one in AZ and meet the greats of the Typrosphere that seem to always show up there.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

I never see drones outside the Old City. Out in the 'burbs we just get the pairs of Black Helicopters every morning, ferrying chemtrail juice to Fort Huachuca.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I think it's a good move to make separate videos of the interviews. I am looking forward to a few of those. Sounds like a really fun trip!

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home