Tuesday, November 23, 2010

His Name is Hunter





Postscript: Well, Hunter actually weighs 35 lbs., as per my 1950's-era bathroom scale. I've not seen 35 lb. sacks of tatters at my local grocier's, but the analogy is still relevant. Can you imagine balancing your latte with your 35 lb. IBM as you make your way from the sugar and milk dispenser to your favorite table in your favorite coffee shop? Just holding the thing under one arm is a real challenge.

As for "field-stripping" the machine, one opens the lid, centers the carriage between the columnar adjustment levers, flicks said levers back, releases the two internal cover latches, releases the two platen levers, then removes the platen, permitting one to pull off the entire top of the machine, made from heavy-gauge metal. This permits access to the entire internals of the machine.

As for its "pristine" condition, the paint job is slightly blemished with dust stains, and the line advance lever (single, 1.5, double spacing) is missing, so I have to fiddle with inserting a pointed object into the mechanism to change the spacing setting. Since I technically don't own Hunter (after all, who could "own" Hunter?) but am merely a caretaker, I'm not certain about getting this mechanism fixed, although, like taking care of a pet for someone else, if it needs to see the vet, then off to the vet it should go.

~Joe

3 Comments:

Blogger James Watterson said...

Very nice, I love the Selectric's. I agree that there is something about a manual that keeps me very indecisive about whether to use it or a manual.

For resumes and somethings that need to erased if need be it shines and there is never a question. There is also no question about it's speed. It is amazing and speedy but at the same time is that speed what makes us ramble like we do on the computer?

All things that make me wonder which tool is best to use. Most of the time my Olympia SG1 takes the cake but in second place comes my Selectric III. There are many uses for both.

BTW your scanner scans that carbon ribbon so nicely, I love it!

7:25 PM  
Blogger deek said...

Selectrics are quite wonderful. And that red, well, its certainly a looker.

The first Selectric I got amazed me with its speed. I had been using a Personal Wheelwriter and it was kind of slow, so I had anticipated even slower response with an older IBM. Boy, was I wrong. That thing can fly!

They are quite large though. And when I weighed my Selectric II for shipping, the mailing scale showed 35lbs, so your bathroom scale is quite accurate.

And I agree, being able to break that machine down is a godsend. It was intimidating when I first got one and needs to clean it up. I didn't know where to start but once I popped the lid and got access to everything, it was quite easy to work with.

You've got a nice typer there!

5:57 AM  
Blogger Duffy Moon said...

I've go a red one just like this, except it's been abused and - at this point - will no longer even power up. Too bad, too.

I found it in a second-hand store that specializes in office-machine castoffs. It was sitting next to a black Selectric III that seemed in much better shape. Because I have a weakness for the flashy, I took the beat-up red one that clearly had issues. But, for $5, it was a good bet. Maybe someday I'll get it working.

In the meantime, I have the (smaller) Personal Selectric II - in a forest-vs-olive green. That one at least types.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home