Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Fountain Pen Ruminations



Post-Script:
The thing about scribbling on your typecast while it's still threaded into the machine is you have to flip up the paper holder and advance the paper a few lines. Then you have to write on the paper while it's curved around the platen. With my normally poor handwriting, it makes it barely legible, kind of makes one wonder why bother with a fountain pen at all, why not just use a Bic Biro? Well, the ink, it flows so smoothly via a good fountain pen.

I like the Lamy's hard steel point, it seems a bit more rugged than the Pelikan's at least with my experience. I know from reading other's reviews that some people have described problems with their Safaris, but mine is fine. I have no problem recommending the Lamy Safari as best overall day-to-day F.P.

Post-Post-Script:
I scanned this typecast in color, trying to retain some semblance of the ink's blue/black hue, but the paper ended up with a funky blue tint. It's regular printer paper, folded in half as my usual manner for typecasting.

~Joe

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth H. said...

I have about a dozen decent pens at this point (I'm teetering right on the edge of officially being a collector, I realize--may need to look at selling some), including two Safaris. Love the things. They're rugged, reliable, cheerful, and if anything ever happens to a nib (or if you just want to try something different), the nibs swap right out. Everyone should have a Safari or two, in my book.

I have one Pelikan, too--one of my nicest pens. It's an M200, which I got from Richard Binder with the fine nib pre-tuned and all. I like it quite a bit. It's a little small for my tastes, and the cap has a disconcerting habit of unscrewing itself if it isn't carried in a secure case (eep!), but it writes beautifully. One of these days I'd like to try some older Pelikans. Just try.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Cameron said...

I like the multi-media aspect of this post. I love typewriters AND handwriting, so of course both occurring simultaneously are great.

I've been visiting a lot of "typecast" blogs recently. Yours is the first I've come across that uses computer-typed "postscripts" after the "real" typed scanned media. Nice touch.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home