Monday, March 26, 2012

Fingers Upon Keys

P1150631a Underwood Universal

Typecast265

P1150637a Olivetti Underwood 21

Typecast266

P1150633a Olivetti Lettera 22

Typecast267

P1150636a Royal Mercury

Typecast268

Post-Script: I didn't post an image of the Corona 4-bank, as I mangled an essential detail of the shot (several of the keys were stuck in the up position), so I'll find another opportunity at a later date.

As for typecasting, this one used the Lumix G1 images imported to my desktop PC, and the typewritten pages scanned on the flatbed. The old PC (it's only, what, 4 years old?) is getting slower and slower, making my alternative workflow of iPad2 much more efficient and streamlined - except with the iPad2 I have to photograph the typed sheets, rather than scan them.

My typing, it's not perfect; sometimes I run out of room on the right for necessary punctuation, and my spelling isn't always perfect either. I do use an old collegiate dictionary to proof my spelling prior to typing.

Typecasting is an anachronism; the amount of memory used for one JPEG image of a typewritten page is much, much larger than the comparable amount of memory the same words would occupy as a text file. But it's about the appearance of ink on paper, capturing the essence of these finger-operated micro-printing presses.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rob Bowker said...

Thanks Joe, exquisitely concise. I hope you don't mind, but I read your typecast in the voice of Earl Hamner. Wrong state, right cadence.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Cameron said...

I've always admired your typed text in your posts. This was a very entertaining, informative post about your connection with typewriters. The story of your mother is precious!

So, did you write this post in long-hand before you typed it?

11:00 AM  
Blogger Joe V said...

Cameron: Yes, I did, in fountain pen (Lamy Safari) in my composition book. I also failed to mention that I used the Olivetti Underwood 21 to type the piece; it had been sitting in the closet unused for many months, and deserved a go at it. I must use it more often, it types very nice. Not as portable as the Lettera 22s, but a nice machine.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Craig H said...

Craig: Hi, Joe. I live here in Albuquerque too, Would like to say that typewriters didn't become an addiction, how many would you classify as recoverable addiction? Would like to see the Lettera 21 someday, as I've got a 22, 32 and a 44. All very nice. The 44 was my second, the first being a Selectric, but that particular one is the one that hooked me. John Lewis has 3 of mine in for repair right now, he does very good work.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Joe V said...

Hi Craig;

I suspect that typewriters are intrinsically addictive, even one is dangerous! Sounds like you have a nice collection of Olivettis.

8:04 PM  
Blogger - a typebarhead said...

Hi joe,

I fully enjoyed reading that post. Very well written.

I too use fountain pens and typewriters for journaling. I possess three different colored lamy safaris in my arsenal of fps. You may have a prettier typer collection though.

Best,

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home