Monday, June 23, 2014

Typewriter Day 2014

DSCF1813a

Typecast204

Typecast203

Post-Script: A few more typos than normal, which I attribute to being a bit nervous from being "on stage" while publicly typing, and also due to the bouncy, extruded metal patio table. I subsequently typed another one-pager, to be posted for my next blog installment, with the Hermes Rocket on my lap, and it was both quieter and smoother. I really do need to type more in public. And I am truly interested in the nature of public typing in the pre-computer age. But, like I said in this piece, the role of manual typing has changed since it's no longer the dominant method of mechanized writing.

The idea for typing on the Flying Star napkin was purely off-the-cuff, after I'd begun buzzing on my second glass of iced coffee. As I implied in the piece, their quality has gone down a bit since the original owners now have the chain of cafes managed by an outside agency. But it's still good, and the desserts are to die for. Here's a link to their website. Drop by if you're in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area (their Santa Fe location being over near the rail yard).

Photo via Fujifilm X10, typecast via Hermes Rocket.

Bonus Image:
A view from the Flying Star's patio: DSCF1815a

5 Comments:

Blogger Bill M said...

Looks like a very appealing place to type. Neat napkiin.
Good choice for a typewriter also. I was doing a bit of public typing while on the raod and used my '45 Baby. I had some interesting conversations at a few airports and outside our motel.

Happy Typewriter Day!

6:32 PM  
Blogger michaeliany said...

Id call that a successful public typing and typewriter day! Nice rocket - I have the same one and like it a lot

10:10 PM  
Blogger Richard P said...

I hadn't heard of TTV photos. Interesting concept.

Public typing is essential to the insurgency, and it usually gets very positive, curious, and kind reactions. We must try not to be obnoxious, but welcome the conversations that the activity may spark.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth H. said...

The napkin looks so cool! I like it. And I totally identify with the emotions you expressed regarding public typing.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Very fun! I have a very portable portable typewriter but I admit I haven't taken it to a cafe......but I do load it into the car for road trips and type in the car sometimes or hotel rooms. Loved the typed-on napkin. And no one said a word to to you? That seems odd. I would think someone would strike up a conversation. Happy typing!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home