Monday, May 12, 2014

Those Fragile Bits

6.23.2009 014a

Typecast221

Post-Script: Along with all those evaporated digital files are scans of older paper negatives from my more active pinhole camera days. But, of course, those paper negatives are still stored away in 3-ring binders, still physically present, still able to be re-scanned and come alive once again as digital images. Another example of the importance of archiving something in as physically tangible a form as possible.

I also had a number of written works go missing, some of which were novel-length and still unfinished. Fortunately, I had made a copy of some onto a thumbdrive, and hence was able to retrieve them, while my earlier short stories seem to be permanently gone.

Photo via Lumix G1 from sometime in 2009 along Interstate 40 in eastern Arizona; typecast via Royal Futura 800.

2 Comments:

Blogger Richard P said...

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about this disaster.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Bill M said...

Been there. Sorry to hear of your woes. I used a proprietor network once. Never again. I generally copy files as they are on my main drive to archival CDs and DVDs. Eventually even those will need re-recorded to whatever media replaces them. After my last HDD fail (and loss of data due to my laziness) I installed a RAID system on the PC and also added server storage. I use a short script to copy files on store to all locations. Should at least give me several copies of my files.

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home