Wednesday, June 05, 2019

An Ideal Adventure

Congress Hotel, Tucson
Congress Hotel Typecast

Post-Script: We ate breakfast at the hotel cafe, then after loading up our gear and checking out, we headed over to the eCommerce Goodwill to pick up Kevin's Ideal model A2. I was surprised when I saw it, since Kevin has lately been collecting ultra-portables, but this one is a wonderfully crafted machine from 1901. I'll have to do a more detailed review of it once it's cleaned.

From the Goodwill in Tucson we drove over to Mesa, a two-hour drive, and spent most of the day at Mesa Typewriter Exchange with Bill Wahl and Ted Munk. A fun time was had, as Bill spent the majority of his time talking with Kevin about the Ideal, and Ted entertained me with a show-and-tell from Bill's ultraportable collection. I really need a cameraman to do a more thorough job of documenting these encounters, as I barely had time to shoot much footage with Bill.

Also, had I not been feeling so under the weather we might have stayed the evening and spent more time with Bill & Ted; but we got on the road by 4PM, and arrived home by 11:30 at night.

I'm still recuperating today, and feel like I may have to call in sick tomorrow. Oh well, so it goes.

I enjoyed using the Silent-Super for this trip, despite it being heavier than a Rocket or Skyriter. The new rubber rollers really make a difference. This is the closest it's come to functioning like a new machine since it was, well, new. A far cry from its origins as a grungy, stinky, broken typer. I've probably spent more time over the years working on this one machine than any other in my collection. But now it runs like it should. Good bones, good design.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Bill M said...

That was a great trip. Thanks for the video.

4:10 AM  
Blogger John Cooper said...

Thanks for sharing the Avery label tip. What size do you use? After measuring a few postcards, it seemed like 2 1/2 by 3 inches would be perfect, but they don't seem to come in that size.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Mary E said...

That is a very enjoyable video. I look forward to seeing more pictures of Kevin's Ideal.

7:29 PM  
Blogger John M said...

That was an excellent video! What a colorful variety of portables, I'd love to try them out.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Richard P said...

Thanks for the glimpse of Munk & Wahl's!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Joe V said...

John, I use the whole-sheet adhesive label, and bring scissors to cut to size. I’ll set the margins for the width needed, then trim to size after typing. Perhaps a video is required - stay tuned.

7:54 AM  
Blogger John Cooper said...

Thanks, Joe! As it happens, I just ordered some 2" x 3" labels, which seem to best fit the message area of most postcards (although I would have preferred 2 1/2" x 3"). I'll cut to size for the address area.

8:16 AM  
Blogger DonN said...

Very entertaining, and I enjoyed the roadside scenery especially. If you really need an SG1 there's one for sale here... I think it's one I sold to the guy! Green with a wide carriage.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home