Monday, June 29, 2020

Visiting the Radio Nomad

James the Radio Nomad and his dog Ash
Visiting the Radio Nomad

With these uncertain times ahead of us, seeing how James is managing his business and personal interests, while not being tied down to some geographical locale, looks to me like a way of the future. High-tech nomadism is certainly not the first thing a baby boomer like myself would have thought of, but this new generation sees things differently, they don't have the emotional and cultural baggage of my generation. More power to them.

It also helps that James is young. As he said in our conversation, he'd rather be RVing while young and vibrant than when old and feeble. Plenty of time to get tied down with life's responsibilities later on, if that's in the cards.

The key to his Radio Nomad lifestyle is an Internet modem that's cell-network connected; and the Q Go Live software that enables live broadcast quality production anywhere there's a cell signal.

I think his retro NTSC monochrome video camera studio setup is just wonderful, on so many levels. It gives me ideas ... !

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Great show. I experienced the products of that old tech, but this gave me a lot of insights into what was behind it all. The dog is a show stealer.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Bill M said...

My kind of camper. I would like to have a fully equipped one for ham radio (ARES and RACES), but Mrs. M's handicap precluded every building one. I have had broadcast studios at home, but never mobile. He's got a great idea and fine set up. That E-V 666 was a standard workhorse of a microphone and they still sound great.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Ted said...

I see a Winnebago in your future :D

12:38 PM  
Blogger DonN said...

Good stuff! I'll be looking for Radio Nomad's blog or website.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home