Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Maitani's Jewel

P1040369a

Typecast135

Great Jobs001a

Trellis001a

UNM001a

Post-Script: These images are scans from the lab prints, not the negatives, so they probably aren't as sharp as they'd otherwise be. The XA2 is truly pocketable, even fitting inside my front denim jeans pocket, yet is "full-frame" in sensor size. There are few other classic compact film cameras that I've desired to own, the XA2 being a good combination of fine optics with classic Japanese engineering and design. True, it's no Leica, but then again a Leica could not be put inside one's jeans pocket, and would be much heavier as well (not to mention expensive).

I like these classic 20th century jewels of mechanical engineering, they remind of why I like manual typewriters, especially portables, as they represent a careful balance between mechanical sophistication, useability and portability.

1 Comments:

Blogger teeritz said...

I wanted a XA2 back in the late '80s, but I never got around to purchasing one. My OM2n was handling all of my picture taking.
I saw a XA2 at a thrift store last year and almost bought it, but these days, I have four 35mm cameras so I can't justify adding another. Still, if I see one someday and the stars are aligned...
Nice camera, Joe, and marvellous photos as usual.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home