Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pinhead Day

Two001a

Typecast131

ThreeThirteen001a

Typecast132

Post-Script: It has been a long time since I've printed in the darkroom onto silver gelatin paper, and it felt very good to return to my first love. Yes, twiddling with images on the computer can seem much easier, until hours have passed and you have little to show for it, certainly not finished prints, whereas this printing session, though only a few hours long, produced eight nice prints and the promise of doing much more of this in the future. The pinhole enlargements were surprisingly sharp, and it has once again encouraged me to expose some film in one of my fine glass-lensed medium format cameras soon, and have another go of print-making under the red lights.

Typecast via Olympia SM9, images are scans of silver gelatin prints.

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard P said...

I don't have the time and patience for it now, but I did learn to develop film and make prints in high school, and very much enjoyed the craft.

Many things you mention here -- the time, the care, the imperfections, the reliance on an endangered supply network -- would also apply to typewriting.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

Indeed. I flirted with B&W 35mm in the 80's - enlarger in the laundry room and the whole bit. There's a drug-like purity to the experience, full of interesting smells and weird lighting and constant fear of screwing something up with a moment's carelessness.

These days it's a process for the sake of the art found within the process. very much like typewriting. we don't need to do it, we want to do it. (:

8:42 PM  
Blogger Zemir Maglajac said...

I like this post Joe. It almost summarize what I do when I am not stuck in one of the FAB's. After 8+ hours working in high-tech environment the smell of developer, agitation and processing is a step in different world. I am not so impressed with latest a greatest even I directly creating or helping this things become what they are . I do pinhole because I want to doit and I love every part of it. :) -Zemir

5:49 AM  
Blogger Dino said...

Zemir Dobojlija??? :-)

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home