Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Why Fountain Pen?

DSCF0688a

DSCF0691a

DSCF0692a

Post-Script: This story ended up better than expected, given how many things we purchase seem, after time has done its corrosive work, to lose their luster. I prefer to collect fountain pens, like typewriters, to use rather than merely display, and so this limits how many I might desire to own, since the opportunities I have to sit down and write by hand seem somewhat limited. That, and owning both a Lamy Safari and Pelikan, any other pen delivering equal or better writing experience would be rather much more expensive. Oh, and the ink? Parker Quink, in blue/black, of course!

Typecast image via Olivetti Lettera 22 and Fujifilm X10.

Bonus Image: Pelikan M100Hipstamatic app on iPad 2.

5 Comments:

Blogger teeritz said...

I agree with all of the reasons listed, Joe. Pelikan make great pens, too. Regarding inks, I have read that Quink may be corrosive if left in a pen too long, but I've never used it long enough to verify that. Otherwise, Waterman make a nice few shades of blue.

11:47 PM  
Blogger teeritz said...

Oh, and I meant to add, nice handwriting in this post too!

1:23 AM  
Blogger Bill M said...

Nice pen. I too use a fountain pen as my normal daily writing instrument. I started a small collection a bit before I bought a typewriter. Fountain pens are so much nicer to use than ball point pens. In a way I pity those chained to their inferior ball points and other pens. Nothing writes as smoothly and easily as a fountain pen. I do not buy any of those over $100 pens or many Chinese or Japanese ones if they are over a few dollars. I buy to use rather than collect just to sit in a display case.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Joe V said...

Teeritz, that nice handwriting is my wife's. Another reason why I prefer to type, my handwriting could be mistaken for chicken scratch.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Rob Bowker said...

Not only a fountain pen convert, you have made a pen caster of your wife. I wish I had the same success with a Valentines Day gift of a couple of years ago - a lovely ivory coloured Olympia SF in great condition. The bright yellow Lamy Safari on the other hand has gone down a treat, albeit constantly filled with purple ink...

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home