Sunday, December 22, 2013

Alleys

DSCF0113b

"Alleys"

Post-Script: There are also many interesting examples of graffiti and public, ad-hoc art to be found in alleys, along with evidence of the homeless, piles of clothes and old mattresses and such. Like I wrote in this piece, it's the grittier underbelly, reminding us of things we'd best not be reminded about.

Photo and typecast image via Fuji X10, edited in Filterstorm on iPad2, typecast via Underwood Universal. The typecast image I photographed in bright sun on the front porch patio table, no flash, using the text scene mode of the X10, this time doing a better job on the color and contrast, and not over-sharpening it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I, too, lament the passing of the alley in modern residential planning. I've noticed many alleys still fulfilling their original purpose here in Tacoma, though.

It's a good thing we don't burn trash in burn barrels any more though. ;)

1:21 PM  
Blogger Bill M said...

Thanks for the nice post. Brings back many fond memories of my childhood. In the small coal town where I grew up we always played in the alley and many times we traveled through town via the alleys. Alleys were fun then. When I went to the city we would park in a parking garage and generally travel the alley(s) to the down town shops and where ever else we went. While in college in the same city I learned of some fine small sandwich shops, a few book stores and even a drafting supplies house; all in alleys. Neat places. I wonder are they still as interesting and are they still safe.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The alleys in Melbourne are a big attraction for photographers thanks to the graffiti art. Also, when I was in Tokyo, the more interesting shops tended to be in the back alleys (cheaper to lease I guess) : )

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home