Monday, May 06, 2019

Maquina de Escribir Gigante

Olympia SG-3
Maquina de Escribir Gigante, Part 1
Porch Typing
Maquina de Escribir Gigante, Part 2

Post-Script: The SG-3 is not supposed to be "portable," so when you do carry it, do so with the carriage close to your torso, since that's the heaviest part. Alternately, you could remove the carriage and move the machine in two halves, but that gets a bit fiddly.

This phenomenon I spoke of in this piece is very real, and immediately noticeable, with these large machines. You (at least, I) really do notice it as soon as you begin typing, how your concentration is focused on the work at hand. It helps that the machine is such a great typer, the action is smooth and, at least on this particular example, the type alignment is darned near perfect.

Which get us to the wonky photos of the typed piece, done using the panorama mode on my iPhone, handheld. It looks like the lines aren't straight, but in fact they are. To do this better, you may need some kind of slider to hold the phone absolutely at the proper angle to the work, and move it with mechanical precision.

The irony of last night's typing session with Kevin is that he was documenting, with his Underwood 6, our mutual collections of ultra-portable machines.

I have another video and blog article to do this week, about my recently acquired Brother EP-43 thermal typewriter. Yes, this makes three such machines. Are they in fact "ultra-portable" typewriters too? Yes, for certain. But that's the subject for another day.

I'm starting to gravitate to the conclusion (at least for now, as I hold the right to change my mind at any time) that a combination of thermal typewriter for out-and-about typing, and a full-sized standard for fixed office/studio writing, is a great mix. What do you think?

Here's a night shot of Kevin at his Underwood.

Kevin and his Underwood 6

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Bill M said...

Nice SG-3. I prefer my office size machines (Hermes Ambassador or an Underwood) for any serious or long typing I do. I like portables, but nothing beats a nice office size machine.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

Well, I admit I have some big machines myself, including a Composer that requires a dedicated credenza, but I have been hesitant to keep any manual standards around other than the U5. I find when I have big Standards around I tend to use only them because they're already out and are too much of a bother to put away. Then I get sad because my beautiful portables get neglected. I end up giving away the standards pretty quick and with little regret.

8:35 PM  
Blogger DonN said...

I've had a few of these, and the engineering is impressive, but I found the weight of the carriage negates whatever other benefits they have!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Richard P said...

¡Magnífica! My current favorite is an SG1; you should try one of those, too.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Mary E said...

My sister (who is an excellent typist) says my SG-3 is one of my best machines. I (a terrible, terrible typist) agree.

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Gregory Short said...

Whether you write with a manual, electric, electronic, or thermal doesn't matter. Whatever keeps you writing is the key. Of course, as you know, I've become obsessed with thermal typewriters, amassing quite a collection in a very short time. (A Casio is on the way!) I firmly believe they have their place. And with a fax paper roll, you can crank out printed text like no other way.

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home