Sunday, September 08, 2019

September TW Society Meeting

1957 Silent-Super
“September TW Society Meeting”

Post-Script: Here are some close ups of the ephemera included with this machine - the owners manual, touch typing guide, Holiday Case key & tag and sales tag. There was also a 3M brand cleaning sheet included, in the original plastic bag.

Silent-Super Ephemera 1
Silent-Super Ephemera 2
Silent-Super Ephemera 3

There's still a bit more work to do on the machine. Several of the type bars hang up on the type guide (the "h" and "f"), and it needs more cleaning. But the card guide fingers are formed so that you can actually thread a sheet into the machine and it'll roll right under the paper bail rollers, which is neat. I'll have to see about adjusting my older elite machine the same way.

I was initially thinking I'd sell this to a local member, but now I'm having second thoughts; I really like the type face. But I do have a potential buyer for another machine in my collection, so perhaps I can make room for this one instead.

I'll post a video about the meeting tomorrow, and will include the link below when I do. We had fun tinkering with a Roxy Rooy escapement issue, so stay tuned.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mike A. said...

Joe, your meetings always sound like a great time and I really enjoy your write ups and subsequent videos. I just added a Silent to my collection the other day. Other than being a bit dirty from being left out and exposed it’s in pretty good shape and types easily. Some of the keys are a little out whack and probably need some reforming. I’m waffling on whether to take this to my repair guy for a proper tune up or attempt the project myself. If you weren’t so far off, I’d bring it to one of your meetings. :)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Bill M said...

Sounds like you all had a great meeting. I hope ours on this coming Saturday does as good. You've given me an idea for the subject matter, maintain or repair typewriters.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Mary E said...

I really enjoyed your meeting report - wish I was closer so I could drop in on one of these.

I have two Silent-Supers in Pica and they are terrific - almost my favorites. They were (almost comically) abused during their lifetimes, but with some cleaning and gentle repairs, they have become superb, reliable typewriters. Their durability is impressive.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Richard P said...

Nice accoutrements that came with your Silent-Super.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

Those meetups sound like excellent times - wish I could be a part of it. (:

6:05 PM  
Blogger DonN said...

I agree about patina - it adds something. I put shrink wrap on the same series machine, and it helped reduce the noise of a hard platen. An easy reversible mod, too.

8:15 PM  
Blogger phxxer said...

I had one identical to yours, except mine was electric, and matched the color of your space bar. I think yours must have been left open in the sunlight for many years. I ordered mine with elite type. To me, pica was for school kids. Phil...Phoenix

10:23 PM  
Blogger Bernard Ryan said...

PLUG HACKERS as we call ourselves, are the guys to come to when you need Hacking Services. We are a Secret group of HACKERS registered to the HACKERONE platform that help in Unauthorized Hacking such as-:
▪️Phone 📲 & Computer 💻 Hacks
▪️Email📧 & Social Media Account Hacks
▪️Tracking/Finding people🔍 and much more.
We also help generate Bitcoin💰 at a faster process with our Newly developed techs that helps speed of Bitcoin Mining process.

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS
We have come across so many Spam Ads in comments and have ripped so many individuals of their money and resources, this caused us to make up this group to provide a Legit Hacking Service to individuals and also to make extra cash for ourselves.

Contacting us is simple, you can send us a message to the Email provided below
GLOBALPLUGGERS@gmail.com
OR
You can drop a voice note message to the secure line below and we will get back to you
+1 (808) 600 0773












5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home