Thursday, July 27, 2023

From When I Used to Be a Not Half-Bad Writer

6.23.2009 316a
A photo from our 2009 vacation to Southern California

I was perusing my old Flickr photos when I came across this typecast, made with my older Royal Mercury, while sitting on the beach in Oceanside, California. I was struck by my writing - I don't think I can write like this today, at least not without some effort. Being on vacation at the time, this did not require much effort. Not that this is world-shatteringly great prose, but there's something caught within these typewritten lines that speaks to the moment of what it was like in 2009 during our vacation.

Typecast007a

Here's the machine I used, a 1972 Royal Mercury:
P1020712a
Photo taken at Stag Tobacconist when I used to frequently type in their cigar lounge

This machine is still in ABQ, now being cared for by a member of our fledgling ABQwerty Type Writer Society; I just received a letter from her this week, typed on this machine, and it looks like it's still going strong, though it needs a new ribbon, which I've promised to install.

Back to the typecast, I don't know what's happened, but writing like that doesn't come easily to me these days. Maybe it's because I'm involved now in much non-writing creativity, or maybe I simply don't write enough, like I once did, other than personal letters. Or maybe, back then, I was relatively new to this kind of writing and I didn't know any better, my mind wasn't clogged with conventions and presumptions and expectations or any other "ions." Maybe I should just sit down at the keys, and bleed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous BillG said...

I like the writing, but I greatly admire the photograph — it's wonderful. Be it writing, photography or any other creative outlet, I do believe the biggest key to improving our results is simply putting in the time. (Though I so often wish that this weren't the case.) While we all tend to be our own worst critics, surely even you can recognize just how much more polished your videos out on YouTube have become over the past few years. It is clear that you've been putting in the work on that front.

The good news is that you are a very creative person. It is likely that your biggest dilemma is deciding how to best focus that creativity. I have little doubt that should you decide to spend more of your time concentrating on your writing you would be able to meet or exceed the results from your past.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Bill M said...

Your post makes me feel as I were there in person. Your descriptions of the day are great.

I write much less, and blog even less, since relocating to MI. I've gotten more involved in gardening (which is nearly impossible in the heat and humidity of FL), hiking, and back to radio projects, which seemed to linger in the background in FL. Activity sure replaces writing.

I realized when I started my radio blog I can either do it (radio) or write about it. Seemed I could not blend the two as with typewriter repair.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Munk said...

Not that I'd advise you to do less video writing but wouldn't mind more of your blog writing and photography ☺️

10:55 AM  
Blogger Joe V said...

Thank you guys!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home