Tuesday, July 15, 2014

To Be Secure in Their Persons

P1080146a

Typecast229

P1080148a

Typecast230

Post-Script: While we in the Typosphere might secretly take pleasure in our beloved's new-found popularity with the popular press and circles of government, there is a not-so-well-hidden dark side. What these recent news accounts represent is using the typewriter as a lightning rod for discharging their ridicule. "Unless you fix this spying problem," they seem to be saying, "we might have to resort to - get this - using TYPEWRITERS instead!! The horror!!"

Much thanks goes to Richard Polt, whose Alternate Manifesto blog article inspired these thoughts.

Typecast via Hermes Rocket.

Unloaded Colt Commander replica courtesy of Norinco ('cause, dammit, if I'm permitted to shop at Walmart I should be able to buy a Chicom gun, too).

Photos via Lumix G5.

4 Comments:

Blogger teeritz said...

"The Puzzle Palace" has been on my radar for fifteen years and I still haven't gotten around to buying a copy. I agree that nothing is secure, Joe. My house has a lot of paper stored away. All useless stuff, really. Except to me. However, I will have to get around to tidying up and throwing away a lot of it one day because I have no intention of getting into cloud computing. Better to have my screenplay notes and ideas on paper rather than stored on some server farm out in the Midwest.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whether it be paper-based or online information, I think the weak link (security-wise) will always be the human informer. Nice Rocket!!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Richard P said...

Thanks for these reflections, thoughtful and astute.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Martha Lea said...

Great post.
I would like to know if those government offices in Germany have a stash of typewriters ready to dust off, or if some intern will have to run the gauntlet of dodgy ebay sellers and atrocious packaging...

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home