Friday, December 26, 2014

Some Time Off

Phil_Chacon_Park001a

Typecast027

Post-Script: I must say, this Smith-Corona Silent continues to impress me the more I use it. For one, I've found it very easy to touch-type upon, due to its snappy feel. Then too, my brother made mention during the Christmas Eve gathering of its nice action. Even the carriage return lever seems to be engineered to be at just the right position for easy access. Further reinforcement that beauty is more than skin deep, as I recall my disparaging remarks in a previous entry about its rather drab colors.

The top image is a scan of a paper negative image from the Speed Graphic, at Phil Chacon Park. Typecast via Smith-Corona Silent.

Bonus Images: (From today's outing with Lumix G5 and yellow filter, converted to monochrome in Silky Pix.)

P1090666a

P1090664a

P1090660a

P1090659a

P1090643a

P1090640a

And some color photos from earlier this week:

P1090627a

P1090628a

2 Comments:

Anonymous Cheryl said...

Catching up on the blogs and wanted to say I love this post - the place where you live seems to offer unlimited subjects of photographic interest. I am only recently catching on to the connection between photography and long walks alone, the former justifies the latter and so I want to do more of it. :-) Wanted to ask your advice, what beginner 35mm film camera would you recommend to a novice? I'm thinking to take up learning to take pictures and teach my 8 year old at the same time. It's our duty to teach kids the lost analog arts as you of course know. In the meantime I have my trusty instant camera.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Joe V said...

It's hard to beat the capability and cost of a manual focus film SLR. Nikon, Minolta, Olympus all had great models. Get one with auto exposure, a built in light meter. Get a lens in the range of 35-50mm focal length. These have accurate viewfinders, compared to a point and shoot compact. The focus and f-stop scales on the lens means you can either set it up for preset focus at smaller apertures, or focus each shot precisely in dim light at wider apertures.

The cost of film processing and printing is the now the bigger issue. Expect to pay at least $15 for develop and print 36 exposures.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home