Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Behind the Curve

DSCF4873a
Typecast160

Post-Script: Bonus image of me wearing my sun hat:

DSCF4852a

The story of "Creepy Albertsons" is not about me necessarily disliking that particular chain of American grocery store. It's that this particular store has consistently lacked the upgrades necessary to keep it modern in appearance, while the staff who work the store are an interesting assortment of personalities, as are many of the patrons (like me, for example). The clerks who man the checkout lanes are especially unique and a story unto themselves. For example, there's the guy we call Blind Malcolm, who doesn't appear to wear glasses or contact lenses but has to hold any printed material to within inches of his face to see. He's also one of the slower clerks on staff, along with a short Asian lady, both of whose lanes we try to avoid if possible. This morning, my wife informed me that she finally found someone whose lane was slower than Blind Malcolm's! A new record in customer inattentiveness was set!

I recall late at night on a weekend, some years ago, the only customers in the store besides me were all dressed as goths. So anytime I'm bored and want some cheap entertainment, a short trip to Creepy Albertsons is in order.

This sounds like a first world problem; I should be grateful there are stores aplenty with shelves full of foodstuffs.

Photo via Fujifilm X10, typecast via Hermes 3000.

Errata: Fifth paragraph, "...that conduct..." should read "...than conduct..."

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I love washable hats.
2. I thought I had been to the Creepy Albertsons of Albuquerque, but no, I have been to the Smith's on Yale near UNM which also has good people watching: grifters, college kids, panhandlers, professional drinkers, motorcycle aficionados, lost tourists...

10:15 PM  
Blogger Walter said...

Great double-down post(s). Creepy Albertsons - love it! ~TH~

8:29 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Your giving names to the help in Albertsons, reminded me of a week my sister and I stayed at La Posada Inn in San Carlos, Mexico. We started naming the other guests by people we knew or TV characters. Of course, if the husband was Arthur, his wife was Anito, our real life friends. Fun week , we could talk about people and nobody knew we were talking about them. By the way, I think we had to make reservations through La Posada in Albuquerque, or maybe it was in Santa Fe.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also favour the unpretentious bucket hat!

1:34 AM  
Blogger Valentine J. Brkich said...

Great hat! ; )

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home