Monday, July 03, 2017

Typing Assignment #3



Wow! What great writing we were blessed to have read with the last typing assignment. We had twenty participants and they all produced wonderfully creative expressions of how typewriters work in their writing process. I was interested to discover how many of those participating had expressed similar reasons for writing with typewriters, yet there were also some unique aspects I hadn't considered. This is another good reason to participate in this project, the interaction with others like-minded as yourself, and the opportunity to learn and grow as a creative.

Of course, nothing is perfect, especially the behind-the-scenes technical aspects of doing this project. For some, there were serious challenges, either with finding the time to write, or snags with posting comments to this blog with the link to their online piece. Unfortunately, one hopeful participant had sent me a broken URL that I was unable to resolve, and couldn't contact him via email in time to get his submission.

I've decided as a backup plan that if you have issues with posting comments to Blogger, please instead post a comment to the Typing Assignment #3 video on YouTube with the link to your piece.

Some other issue of note:
PDF files: Apparently my mobile video editing platform treats PDFs as documents instead of images, and hence won't permit importing them as photos to my video editor. I was able to find a work-around, by capturing a screen grab of their online piece instead.
Evernote: I had saved a document from a person's Evernote site, which appeared in my photo folder as a normal image. But when imported to the video project the image had scrambled letters, unreadable, as if some sort of copy protection were at work. I ended up also taking a screen capture of their online document instead.
The Ken Burns Effect: I used this top-to-bottom scroll effect in the video to make the pages wide enough to be readable. But if there is very little margin at the bottom of the image, then the clip fades out a bit too soon. It would help if you include a bit more margin at the bottom of your images to permit it to be fully readable, otherwise the viewers might have to pause the video.
Google shortcut links: One person sent a Google shortcut link that was broken. I was unable to fix it. And I couldn't notify them in time for the deadline. It's a good habit to test your image links before posting them to this blog or the YouTube video. Paste the link into a fresh private browser window and see if it works first.

If you need to contact me directly about some issue with posting or uploading your image link, email me at: j v c a b a c u s (at) y a h o o (dot) com.

Now! Assignment #3 is to write a one-pager about youthful hang-outs. Write about some place you liked to spend time at when young, and perhaps a bit about the people you hung with and maybe even some special circumstance or story that transpired. The deadline is next Sunday, July 9. Please keep the length of your piece to one typewritten page. Try to make the image as bright and contrasty as needed to be easily readable from inside a video. If you need assistance, contact me. Good luck!

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Piotr Trumpiel said...

Hello Joe,
First of all I agree people submittitng their files should do it in the way that it is convenient for you. However as far as the PDF file goes - both Photoshop and Gimp allow you to open them as layers and save pages as jpegs :). Slightly longer process than a screen grab perhaps but possibly slightly better output quality.

With kind regards
Piotr

3:52 AM  
Blogger TokyoJAM said...

Hi Joe,

Thanks for another great assignment! I couldn't wait to write it. I'm a bit concerned that this first draft is rough in terms of content as well as format, but in accordance with the rules I'm uploading it as is. Keep those great assignments coming. Love this!!

My typing assignment #3 is here:

https://sites.google.com/site/jamunroe/home/typer-assignment-3

4:12 AM  
Blogger Bill M said...

Another fun assignment. I doubt I can find time to complete it, as with the previous ones, our house is still not settled from the move.
Good points on sending entries. The pdf problem also shows on Blogger as Blogger will not let a pdf upload as an image either.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Joe,

Thanks for doing this. You're doing a great service for the typing community and I'm sure we are all enjoying it and appreciate your time and effort.

Everybody's work is great, really impressed. Sorry I couldn't contribute to assignment 2, just couldn't organise myself.

Really great topic this one, couldn't wait to get started.

Here's my 3rd assignment. Hope it uploads ok. Looking forward to next week.

Richard

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152005082@N04/35715388375/in/datetaken-public/

8:47 AM  
Blogger pdlagasse said...

Hi, Joe --

Another issue is that Blogger doesn't automatically convert pasted URLs into active links. So when we post our links here, everyone has to copy and paste them into their browser one at a time, which is pretty drudgerous.

I did some poking around and it appears that if you manually insert HTML tags around your comments, Blogger will do the conversion. If it's OK with you, I'd like to test it here and see if it works: this is a link. Did it work?

Cheers,
Paul

9:07 AM  
Blogger andrew nicholls said...

Hi there again Joe! And all you other crazy typists out there!!
Here is my assignment number 3 all about my youth hangout:
http://andypoetwriter.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/typing-assignment-3-youth-hangout.html
Those happy days. I wish they could have lasted forever...
Typed up on my 3rd typewriter, a lovely little early 1950's Hermes Baby Rocket.
Keep on typing everyone. All the best!. Andy.

1:44 PM  
Blogger David Randall said...

Thinking a long way back for this one Joe: https://buildingdesks.blogspot.com/2017/07/hanging-out.html

8:55 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

This was fun thanks Joe!
https://sites.google.com/site/dc4355/assignment-3
Best regards,
Diane

9:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here's my entry for assignment #3, typed on my Olympia SM8.

https://vermontvintagetypewriter.blogspot.com/2017/07/joe-van-cleave-writing-assignment-3.html

9:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Joe, Darrin here - and here is my assignment for #3 (done on a Smith-Corona Silent Super)
https://www.evernote.com/l/AC-Od2alXEdCmKXpSQ9_fUhxtfOrztQaGns

7:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Another fun time on the Underwood 3 bank portable typewriter.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1GvXMwunHVrU2dTaVNwWE9sQVk/view?usp=drivesdk

Have a great day John Campbell

11:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Greetings Joe,

What a fun trip down memory lane. I used a 1970s Adler Contessa (SN: 5503728) for this assignment. Much easier to work on than the 1930s machines.

https://brokestuff.wordpress.com/2017/07/08/so-many-quarters/

12:34 PM  
Blogger DoHaeng Michael Kitchen said...

Hi Joe,

Here's my submission for Typing Assignment #3. I used my 1951 Royal Quiet De Luxe.

https://dohaeng.com/2017/07/08/july-8-2017-typing-assignment-3/

Thank you for creating this habit!

Mike

8:24 PM  
Blogger Michael R pdx said...

Hi Joe, what a thought provoking assignment! Thank you for helping me realize what a special place my childhood took place in.

Michael Rasmussen on the Optima Elite3 from 1958

https://saunter.us/wanderings/on-the-edge-of-the-future/
https://i0.wp.com/saunter.us/wanderings/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/on_the_futures_edge.jpg?ssl=1

11:37 AM  
Blogger Michael R pdx said...

GAH! I forgot to edit the image. sorry, sorry.
New link to the image itself.
https://i1.wp.com/saunter.us/wanderings/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/on_the_futures_edge-1.jpg?ssl=1

11:52 AM  
Blogger John M said...

Hi Joe,

Yet again a last minute entry for Assignment #3.
https://typingink.wordpress.com/2017/07/09/jvc-typing-assignment-3-the-dream-cottage/

John Maillet

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Kevin K. said...

Here is my submission to Typing Assignment #3:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156213073@N02/35826470205/in/dateposted-public/
It was written and typed on a 1933 Underwood Portable (4-bank) with glass-topped keys. With it's new platen and feed rollers from John Lewis, it is as enjoyable to write and type with as my Smith Corona Electric Portable.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Whew! Hope I've made it in time! Needless to say I got a bit carried away!

https://plus.google.com/109323762305701092267/posts/4SDFsZ7vjsg

11:10 PM  
Blogger John M said...

Here is my #4 submission...
https://typingink.wordpress.com/2017/07/13/jvc-typing-assignment-4-fox-on-the-rocks/
John Maillet

11:18 AM  
Blogger Blogs said...

I appreciate the insightful content of this blog. The emphasis on quality healthcare is crucial. For further academic excellence in nursing, consider exploring Nursing Assignment Help from Assignment Help Pro.


12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home