Monday, May 22, 2017

Found Photograph: Two Men

Two-Men-001a
Typecast282

Post-Script: I can't help but think about the film Blade Runner when I handle prints like this. I think of Harrison Ford's character Rick Deckard meticulously examining the snapshot photos from the android Leon - photos that were intentionally made deceptive by the Tyrell Corporation who manufactured Leon, photos from Tyrell's neice, but serving to give the android some semblance of a real human past. Though we aren't mere androids, I can't help from feeling that, somehow, these old snapshots serve much the same capacity, helping to fill in the missing bits of our understanding of a past that remains in many ways just as mysterious to us as Leon's did to him.

I found this print at the same thrift store, on the same day, that I found this blue Smith-Corona Electric.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger SteveK said...

Made it Ma, top of the world!

1:11 AM  
Blogger Joe V said...

Pberger responded via email:

"If I owned it, I would try and enlarge to 8 1/2 x 13 on my ink jet all-in-one printer. It is fun to see what you might notice with a larger print. You could just enlarge the photo itself, then make a new mat I took a sliver from a photo taken by my cousin, and had it enlarged to about 11 x 22. It is a snowy farm where my Dad was born,the foreground is all snow, and in the middle is a large red barn to one side, and an old house to the left. I love it, and the fact it is soft focus doesn't bother me a bit. I look at it from a distance anyway. The sky is overcast, with one little spot of blue.

Phil"

8:08 AM  
Blogger TomR said...

I have thousands of JPEGs spread across several PCs and archived CDs that will never again see the light of day. I'm firmly convinced that unless you print them, they will eventually be gone. To that end I've embarked on a slow, long term program to get them printed. I'm currently using Chatbooks (60 - 4x6 prints in a softbound book for $8; there are other services that do essentially the same thing). It's not perfect, but at least the pictures are on paper, not locked up in a technology that is slowly rendering them inaccessible.

9:33 AM  
Blogger DonN said...

Is that snow beside the stairs? A great photograph.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Richard P said...

I agree, this is an intriguing photo. Mysterious and (to me) a little menacing. The guy on the right might be about to say, "Hey! Whatcha doin' there?" and try to grab my camera.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home