Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Typing Assignment No.8

P1120794a

I must be getting old. Last week, when I announced the subject for Typing Assignment No.8, I implied there would be a corresponding blog article onto which you could post links to images of your typed sheet, via the comments below. Well, I forgot.

So here it is, better late than never. But I do hope you've been having fun with this assignment, which is to write a one-pager, using a typewriter, in the style of a favorite author. It can be fiction, nonfiction, prose, poetry - whatever, as long as you can tell us what author inspired you, and what typewriter you used to write it.

Myself, one favorite author is William Gibson. I'm going to have to buckle down and get something on paper today, if I hope to make the deadline of next Sunday.

As usual, scan or photograph your typed page, post it to a publicly accessible website, then post the link here below in the comments; or post the link to the YouTube video (see below); or email the image file to me at: jvcabacus@yahoo.com.

Good luck and happy writing.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

One of the best opening lines ever written: "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Kevin Kittle said...

Here is my submission to Typing Assignment No. 8:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156213073@N02/36838899306/in/dateposted-public/

I used my 1978 IBM Correcting Selectric II again because the author I chose owned a Selectric. It was his last typewriter.

The author was Ray Bradbury.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Joe,

I picked Philip K. Dick as the author to emulate. My humble attempt created on a 1941 Remington Rand Streamliner is at the link below. Thanks once again for shepherding us along on this adventure.

brokestuff.wordpress.com/2017/09/08/moon-life/

5:05 PM  
Blogger TokyoJAM said...

Hi Joe and friends,

Here is my Assignment 8. To be honest I wrote a similar Cohenesque lyric I liked much better, but upon completing it I realized my muse had led me into TPFTI (too personal for the Internet) territory. No editing with typers! So I wrote something else. As they say, judge a film by what gets left on the cutting room floor. Hoping this applies to typecasts too. :-D Hope this isn't too dark - it's about Internet flamers. Ducking.

https://sites.google.com/site/jamunroe/home/typing-assignment-no-8

Can't wait to read others!

All the best, John

4:02 AM  
Blogger Michael R pdx said...

Great photo at the top! This one was a good time Joe. Well, after picking an author to ape.

Michael Rasmussen "Implant Messengers"
On the Hermes 3000

https://saunter.us/wanderings/data-mules/
https://i1.wp.com/saunter.us/wanderings/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/data_mules.jpg?ssl=1

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Andykev said...

Here is my assignment #8. Apologies for the formatting, as this was typed on my newest addition, the SC Coronet Automatic 12 (inspired by JVC twin Coronies video). This piece began as a "style" of David McCullough, but I quickly found out that would never work for a "one page" assignment..so the work morphed into something much more fun. Since this was a new attempt on an electric, I had the margins off, so the page is a bit long, by one paragraph.

This is the link: https://andykev.com/typing-assignment-8/

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home