Monday, July 24, 2017

On the Importance of Craft

Dulcimer001a
Typecast002

Post-Script: This is not to imply that there is no craft-like skill involved with the more contemporary methods of image-making, but traditional methods are intrinsically craft-oriented, dealing as they do with physical material.

I loved Harman's Direct Positive Paper, and do hope they get the bugs ironed out of their manufacturing issues. Going forward, I do need to consider, when dealing with still-life and landscape subjects, returning to large format sheet film which, though more costly, can yield wonderful results, including the possibility of enlargements.

Typecast via Underwood Portable 4-bank. Check out the latest video about this machine.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger uomoartificiale said...

I was thinking about building another largeformat camera, this time going 8x10, and the medium of choice would have been HDP. This news changes everything as I surely cannot sustain the sheet film cost for that format.
I came to love this medium as well, and I use it as a "paper tintype" as well in "postcard" inside my old folders.
If you're interested, here's the flickr gallery of my HDP work: https://www.flickr.com/photos/uomoartificiale/albums/72157666291714180

1:12 AM  
Blogger Joe V said...

You have some wonderful work there, well done.

8:15 AM  
Blogger uomoartificiale said...

thanks Joe. A I already said elsewhere, your generosity in sharing your experiments with the medium helped alot. When someone asks me my exposure/development combinations I always tell them to seach google for Joe van Cleave! and I'm not joking. Keep up the good work!

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home