Monday, October 07, 2013

One More in the Stable

P1060465a

Typecast165

Post-Script: What I meant to say is that I'm lucky that all I have to worry about is the condition of a newly acquired manual typewriter, rather than the dysfunction in the nation's capital, or the economy, or the climate.

I did some additional tweaking on the machine after having written this piece, and have solved the space bar problem, having found an adjustment screw near the escapement that regulates how far the space bar linkage pushes. Still have some intermittent sticking of the "T" key, however, so that will be a nagging issue. I'm known at one of the local typewriter shops as the guy that never brings his old machines in to get serviced, aside from the occasional ribbon. My thinking is that if I can figure out how to solve a problem myself, it's money saved and another lesson learned.

Typecast via Remington Quiet-Riter, photo via Lumix G5.

Errata: The date is wrong on the piece, as I forgot to set my analog watch forward after September 30. Not that you'd ever notice such a thing from the back of a moving horse.

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard P said...

I like these machines. You did the right thing! And I'm sure you can fix those remaining issues.

9:22 PM  
Blogger teeritz said...

Nice post, Joe. I got a lotta respect for the Quiet-Riter. I'm thinking of stripping the grey paint job on my one and jazzing it up a little, but I'll have to research the proper removal of its current colour.
Nice pick-up. Quiet-Riters are solid.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Rob Bowker said...

It can take me until the second week of a new month before I realise my watch calendar doesn't tally with the correct date. I haven't tried one of these Quiet Riters but they make frequent appearances on UK eBay - maybe one day...

8:04 AM  
Blogger Cameron said...

Great find, Joe!

I have a soft spot in my heart for this model, as it was my first experience with a typewriter (my mother's) at age 10. They are generally very solid, dependable machines. So congratulations on acquiring a piece of 1950s history!

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home