Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Who's Enabling Whom?

Olympia SM3
Typecast078
Olympia SM3
Typecast079

Post-Script: A big thanks to Ted Munk for identifying it as an SM3. And later I checked the Serial Number Database and found it was made in 1957, the year of my birth.

Which reminds me: do as I say, not as I do. If you have any kind of typewriter collection, you should register them, in serial number and photos if possible, on Ted Munk's site. I've been remiss. Really need to get this done.

Here's Duke City Kitchen's menu.

And here's my vlog-style video on this day of thrift store hunting:



PPS: After typing this two-pager, the backspace decided to start working. Goes to show, these machines thrive on being used.

Now, a preview of an upcoming video: what's the best machine: Olympia SMx, Hermes 3000, Olivetti Lettera 22 or Smith-Corona 5? Hmm...

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Bill M said...

Congratulations on the fine looking SM3. I find the SM3 a much better typer than the latter SM7 on models. Similarly with picking the best typewriter on your list. the early H3k machines type much nicer than from the boxy 1966 models on.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Ted said...

*kraks the whip!* You do know that I put in a good word for you with the Thrift Gods, right? That they should soften the hearts of those around you and grant your very next wish? Yep, I done did that incantation last week. Now you must upload your bounty to the TWDB! :D

PS: I'm undecided than an SM-3 beats an SM-7 like Bill says. They are different, but similar. I think if you like the SM-3 you'll prolly also like an SM-7 if you should find one. Buuut.. SM-3 is a pretty swank find for a thrift - bravo! (:

7:54 PM  
Blogger Mike A. said...

Lucky you! Some of my best typer are from the wife's discoveries. She tends to enable too. :)

SM3, in my humble opinion, is one of the best out there. It really is an engineering marvel.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Richard P said...

Wow, the stores are typewriter-rich down there!

When I recently picked out a dozen typewriters to sell, my wife kept saying, "Wait? THAT one? But that one's so cute!" They can learn ...

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool video and post! Oh, and maybe the answer to your mystery is that your wife didn't have a change of heart; her heart was on your side all the time and you've already made the best find. So now every typewriter is a bonus.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

That's a beautiful Olympia, a great find by your wife!

And the corners of the abacus are joined by dove tails. It looks well made :)

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home