Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Cold Hard Typing

IMG_0007
Typecast072

Post-Script:

IMG_0008

I've been enjoying this collection of jazz tapes. The Panasonic player is monaural, but has a pretty good tonal range. It's especially handy sitting table side; next to my writing area, where I can stop it easily enough before leaving the room. My Sanyo cassette deck with the Lafayette receiver and Polk speakers are in the garage, not where I want to sit while writing in the wintertime. The garage is also too cold for the Sanyo's health, which I should bring inside the warmer house during the winter months. The garage gets 45f in the winter, not too bad, but enough to cause the old deck some grief. That garage stereo system was intended to be there for the warmer months, and I don't really want a loud system in my office, since it adjoins the bedrooms and I have a tendency to be up late at nights on my off days. So the little Panasonic player is about ideal for my office cassette music needs.

About that top photo, you can see in the upper left corner a Japanese soroban abacus, another addition to my collection. I need to make a video about it soon. Maybe also review my entire collection.

Regarding Richard Polt's Cold Hard Type project, see this link.

If you're interested in my collection of Loser's Blend short stories, see this link.

Here's the website for Rust is Gold Coffee Shop, here in ABQ.

More about my coffee shop typing and the Cold Hard Type project in this video:

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Richard P said...

Can't wait to see the story, Joe! (But there's no need to put it into final format until April 2.)

10:29 PM  
Blogger Tiago MB said...

I used to record myself a lot of these tapes when I was a kid and a teenager. From the radio or my own voice. I even made a show on tape with my cousin, that is lost forever I guess. Anyway, I became a jazz listener only after adulthood. When I was younger, back in the 90s, CDs were kind of expensive to me, and there was a store where I live where we could rent CDs. So I rented some rock and electronic albums and recorded them on tapes at home. Talk about obsolete tech!

2:41 AM  
Blogger Mike A. said...

Looking forward to reading the final Joe. I like this project. It made me do what I kept threatening to do anyway... just sit down and type.

I was bragging to my co-worker yesterday about typing. We lost power for four days recently and I explained how my word processor still worked. Sitting in the dark, headlamp strapped on, I fell right into a Cold Hard Type scenario. The words flowed easily. :)

5:10 AM  
Blogger Bill M said...

Nice find with the tapes. Sounds like you had an enjoyable typing Christmas. Do you only use Thermal paper with your EP-20? Mine seems to do much better with direct thermal paper than the thermal transfer ribbon. Could be the ribbon is too old.
BTW: your garage is about the same temperature as mine and I'm in Kalamazoo.

11:59 AM  
Blogger SteveK said...

Great find. Jazz music must have provided a soothing backdrop to many a typing session over the years. Happy New Year. ;)

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home