Tuesday, December 03, 2019

One Atop the Other

Torpedo 18 Patio Typing
“One Atop the Other”

That "4" keycap on the Torpedo is the only remaining missing cap that's temporarily been replaced with one from a different machine. I intend on carving myself a replica keycap from poplar wood, sanded and finished to be as close as possible to the other original keycaps.

Sunday we had our December meeting of the ABQwerty Type Writer Society. I recently acquired a 12-pack of red/black nylon ribbons, in the DIN size without grommets, for $9.99 from Amazon. They've been nicely dark, well inked. I think a real value in ribbons, I highly recommend them. Here's my review of them:



Today, Andrea and I rode the recently opened ART bus (Albuquerque Rapid Transit) from Nob Hill, through downtown, to the west side and back. This has been a project that's been several years and tens of millions of dollars in the making, that runs on Central Avenue, the old Route 66, from Tramway Blvd on the east to Coors on the west, while also making a stop in the uptown area, the closest it comes to our suburb. Much controversy and economic upheaval has accompanied the project, including torn up streets and many small businesses along Central that have shut down or moved. Small businesses are a fragile economy, which the city didn't seem to appreciate during the construction phase.

From now until the end of the year the city is offering free rides. We boarded in Nob Hill near Kelly's Brewery and rode west to Coors, then hopped onboard a return bus and stopped downtown, where we walked around and I recorded video and still photos. Then we caught another eastbound bus and ended back in Nob Hill, where we ate lunch at a tacoria, where it was two dollar Tuesday. It was rather ironic having to drive our private vehicle across town so we could then ride the bus.

The busses were originally intended to be electric, battery-powered, but the city had issues with the electric busses not meeting contract requirements around battery range and recharging time; plus, they were very expensive. They also didn't want to spend even more money on electric light rail lines. So they finally reverted to propane-powered, two-section, 60-foot long busses. They are modern and new inside. I hope they stay that way. Once the city starts charging for rides, an all-day pass will be around $2. I'm thinking it might be fun to drive down to the rather close Uptown area and pick up the ART bus for a day of coffee shop typewriting and street photography downtown.

Here's the video of today's ride:

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Thanks for sharing the ride. Margaret would like us to make the same trip. I'm not so enthusiastic. It was nice to see a story about public transportation where nobody gets punched or stabbed.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Bill M said...

Thanks for the videos. I hope to give SpeedyInks a try, but there is nothing on their website but ink, and nothing about ordering anything.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Joe V said...

There’s a link in the video description field for the product on their Amazon store.

8:20 AM  
Blogger John Cooper said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:04 AM  
Blogger CLW said...

Joe- Hi, I’m taking a chance that you can help me...
This probably isn’t the correct place to post this question, but I decided to give it a try.
I have a Royal Mercury portable typewriter exactly like the one you reviewed in your youtube video #129. It was a Christmas gift, I think in 1972!
It’s also in pristine condition. Here’s my dilemma... it seems that the carriage is in the “locked” position and I can’t figure out how to unlock it. The manual refers to “locking” it for transporting by using the red dot position. ( the red dot is located on the left side of the typewriter,, where the single/ double space options are) but it does not tell how to unlock it.
The carriage glides smoothly and the keys all function well, but the typewriter does not space when you try to type.
I watched both of your videos on this model, and you don’t reference this option.
Any ideas? Appreciate your help.
Cindy

4:38 PM  
Blogger Joe V said...

Sounds like the carriage is already unlocked, if you can move it manually using the carriage release lever. Does the carriage move with the space bar? If not, and if y ou CAN move the carriage manually, then the escapement mechanism may have a problem, and it may need servicing.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Mike A. said...

Thanks for the tip on the ribbons. Ordered a package yesterday and will see how they work.
Thanks
Up in the air on how to draft my offering to CHT III. Paper, typewriter, thermal, NEO. Maybe all of the above. :)

As far as a new key for your Torpedo, you might consider 3D printing one.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Diane Maher said...

I just received my new Speedyinks yesterday. Along with a new Olympia SM-4. It needs cleaning. But I do plan to try these inks in my Olympias.

10:37 PM  
Blogger phxxer said...

I have been trying to keep up on the ART buses. I thought the articulated were too long and blocked the intersection with the rear section. Also, I thought it was going to take 1 1/2 years to get the diesel substitute buses. How did they get delivery so fast of buses with doors on both sides? And one final question, I thought you had to pay to enter a holding area for the next bus. I didn't see anything like that. Phil in Phonix

11:51 AM  
Blogger CLW said...

Thank you for your reply. It does appear that it will require servicing. Guess letting it sit for 30+ years without use has taken its toll!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home