Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Sharp PA-1050 Thermal Typer

Sharp PA-1050 Thermal Typer
Sharp PA-1050 Thermal Typer

It's been fun digging into these devices, brings back lots of memories of my days, in the 1980s - about concurrent with this machine (circa 1986 according to the date stamp inside the top shell) - when I repaired consumer electronics for a living.

I'll be doing more videos about each of these machines, then eventually a comparison between all five in my collection.

There's a bit of wonkiness to the line spacing in the image of the typecast, that's not the fault of the typewriter but rather my "scanning" technique; I use an iPhone's panorama mode, and irregularities in the movement of the phone during the scan will cause these issues. I'm still thinking about building a slider rig for doing these scans. The typical thermal typewriter output is a long scroll, too big for a conventional scanner - even if I had one!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill M said...

Congratulations on the fine repair. Sometimes some of the consumer electronics of the 80s would drive me zonkers when it crossed my bench. Neat to still have some of your old lubricants.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

huh, the PA-1050 I had claimed its internal memory was 6k, not 4k.
https://munk.org/typecast/2015/09/06/sharp-pa-1050-typewriter-baby-wedge-week-continues/

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Gregory Short said...

Looks great! Glad you're enjoying it.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home