Friday, January 14, 2022

Type-Writing Versus Hoarding



I was asked by a viewer to post my notes for the recent video titled "Write or Hoard?" -- so here they are. Keep in mind that these are a first-draft work, complete with typos and corrections both typed and penciled in, originally not intended to be published. I did the video using this sheet (below) as a reference. Which was a bit odd, as I kept looking off-camera and referencing what I'd typed. In the future I need to learn to do this with more polish.

Type-Writing Versus Hoarding

Parenthetically, I've started to really enjoy using a bichrome ribbon to make colored corrections and emphases. Especially with these 1.5 line spaced machines, like this Hermes 3000 The Elder. I'd really like to do this on my Splendid 33 but it doesn't have a bichrome setting. Does this mean I'm in the market for a Splendid 66 or 99 also? Not officially. Not if you asked my in front of my wife, for example. Only theoretically. Just for conversation's sake, of course.

But what I have done on the Splendid 33 is, in 1.5 line spacing, the same X-out corrections that are typed 1/2 line above the typo. And for emphasizing words and phrases a simple black ink underline seems to work fine.

Several weeks ago I started getting in this goofy mood where I'd type things conversationally, with my speaking voice (or the voice of some imaginary character) and purposefully underline words and phrases to gain a sense of the character's speaking mannerisms without going FULL CAPS, the way people emphasize certain words by raising their voice. This functions like a superset of phonetics, but operates at the whole sentence level. In "proper" writing you're not supposed to write this way, but I think it's a novel way to capture someone's speech mannerisms. After all, it is a constantly evolving language. ISN'T IT?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Paulo Type said...

Thx a lot... that's a question for me... 32 typewriters in my collection what for ? Paulo, from Portugal

3:24 AM  
Blogger Mei Travis said...

That video really spoke to me, Joe. I was also touched by ep. 81 "On Being a Typewriter Guy".
I'm one of those new typewriter enthusiasts who wanted ONE typewriter to keep a journal and maybe do creative stuff. Well, we know how that goes for some of us, haha! Like you said, typewriter people tend to be mechanically inclined and enjoy the collecting too, so here I am 50 typewriters later, thinking long and hard about what just happened. I've quickly come to the realization that my next phase will be about fixing up my favorites, primarily with new platens, and then clean up to pass on the rest to future Typospherians. Thanks Joe!

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Gregory Short said...

It's fun seeing your notes--script, really. I always enjoy getting a peek behind the scenes. Even though I'm a fellow YouTuber, we do things very differently. Maybe that's why your videos are much more sleek than mine. I've been trying to make my videos for my fountain pen channel, Pensane, a little more professional. I still don't work with a script, and barely use notes, but I can do wonders in post-production.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Suresh said...

Do you know Narendra Modi ka pura naam kya hai and What are you doing in hindi

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home