Tuesday, October 29, 2013

To See the Way Forward

P1060842a

Typecast177

P1060804a

Typecast178

Post-Script: Much more could be said in reference to the symbolism of the Wild West inherent to our automobile culture, but I've said enough already. It was a very nice day to ride, and for the most part people were well behaved out on the road.

This particular Ticonderoga pencil, which I used to write this piece (though considerable editing was done during transcription to typewriter), is one of those where the lead seems overly brittle and breaks too easy. Which reminds me of the various pencil blogs and the fun it is to read through them.

I had initially thought to bring fountain pen, but that would have entailed (due to Murphy's Law) bringing the bottle of ink also, and so in the end I opted for pencil and sharpener, and wasn't disappointed. Such a simple device, the pencil, and with the right combination of lead and paper seems butter smooth.

Typecast via Remington Quiet-Riter, photos via Lumix G5.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill M said...

You make some good points. I won't add anything because I could go on for as long as your post!

I often wondered about the black pencils. I like the feel of a wooden pencil, but ever since college I have used good lead holders and technical pencils 99% of the time. No need to mess with a sharpener unless when I did drafting -- a pointer.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Joe V said...

I do love mechanical pencils, in fact have used more of them over the years than wooden, especially liking 0.7mm leads. Thanks for reading.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Rob Bowker said...

I haven't ridden my motorbike in over 10 years but I have to report the same experience in the UK. Every other biker waves, nods or otherwise acknowledges a fellow traveller. The ones who don't (as a rule) give a sign, are the boy racers and, oddly, scooterists. I tried instigating a similar code amongst Fiat Uno drivers, just to see if caught on. Needless to say, after four years persistent waving and shouting Unoooooo, the tribe failed to develop. Meanwhile, I'm hoping to have time this winter to get my bike back on the road ready for spring 2014. I just remembered another group that never returned a salutation on the road, police motorcyclists. Odd.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home