Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The Changing of the Guard

Hermes 3000

Typecast193

Post-Script: I like these kinds of simple pieces. They're conversational, like sharing to a larger audience just a little bit of how typewriters fit into one's day. Nothing fancy or presumed, merely about rotating one's typewriter usage. I wonder if Jay Leno does this, tweeting about taking some car from his collection out for an afternoon spin.

As a typewriter fanatic, I think it's important to type frequently, even if it's nothing profound or earth-shattering. Just get one's fingers on those keys, hear the snap of the type slugs hitting paper, hear the ding of that little bell at the end of the line, smell the machine oil exude from that shiny instrument of literary creativity. Keep in touch, even if it is just about swapping machines, or some other mundane part of one's life.

Others might think differently. They might ask of us why would we go to the trouble, especially with something so ordinary and relatively unimportant as this little one-pager sent off into the aether. I think it's most important to answer the question of "Why type?" by the simple response of "Because." Because I can, certainly. Because I have a selection of functional, beautiful machines to choose from. Because it's "Me-Powered." Because it's fun: we are far enough removed from the days of typists toiling away at their typewriters in the drudgery of the mid-20th century office environment that bringing one of these to life by the animation of our fingers somehow brings us to life, too.

I think typecasting makes blogging more satisfying. It's one thing to bang out a little nothing note to the world directly on one's computer, but quite another to do so with a scan of a paper artifact that reveals so much more than the mere words themselves. And it takes some effort, more so than hitting the "enter" key. So, to paraphrase that old Hallmark greeting card slogan, "When you care enough to send the very best, send them a typecast."

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bill M said...

Looks like a beautiful Hermes Epoca typeface. I find 90% or more of my typewriters type better than any of my SM9 typewriters. Typing frequently is also important. I type a daily log of about a half page to several pages depending on how my day goes. I tried keeping a typed running log during the storm, but that turned into more of an end of the day summary due to the need to be handling radio communications.

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see this boxy Hermes 3000 pop up in your blog again. Such a pretty blue. I covet that typeface.

4:04 PM  
Blogger pdlagasse said...

"When you care enough to send the very best, send them a typecast." We need that on a T-shirt!

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great entry - I too enjoy shelving a machine and grabbing a "new" one to keep things fresh. Sometimes I'll sit and type for 15 minutes without any mental direction, and it seems the machine itself will begin to inspire my thoughts. I never have that experience with a computer. Type on. ~Tom~

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home