Sunday, December 04, 2016

Typewriter Blues

Typewriter Blues
Typecast266

Post-Script: One effect of typing on the roll of teletype paper is getting long-winded, like I'm apt to do, and not having room on my flatbed scanner to get the title and signature in one scan.

I like this blue ribbon, it's darker than I thought it would be at the time of order. As I indicated in the piece, the slightly yellowish tint of the teletype paper works well with blue, since they're complimentary colors, if I recall.

I'm not yet sold on the idea of liquid correction fluid, even if it is dispensed in this neat applicator pen. It's certainly slower to use, and requires care to avoid a mess. Yet this teletype paper does not work at all well with any of the brands of correction tape I've tried. So perhaps for this specific paper I'll continue using it for a while.

It's been fun working with these varieties of correction methods, something essential if we are to continue typing via cloth ribbons to paper; or, become entirely faultless in our typing technique (that ain't happening!). I am looking forward to using the correction tabs.

Typecast via Facit 1620.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob Bowker said...

That blue looks good. Perhaps it is time for me to venture beyond red and black? My preferred correction option is Tipp-Ex correction papers, with that chalky surface on side of a small tab of paper. Failing that, a good old strike through with cap Xs. Looking forward to your video - the series is going down well with some members of the Antique Typewriter Collectors group on Facebook.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Joe V said...

I've been seeing some mention of my video series on that Facebook group. I'm not a FB member, just lurking from outside.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Years ago I bought a 4 color ribbon, I think from Sears. One half was green and blue, and the other black and red. It had reversing grommets near the end of each color. If you wanted one on the other half, you had work the grommets beyond the sensor mechanism. In the past I have had full length blue, green, brown and purple ribbons for my Smith Corona.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Joe V said...

Phil, let me know if you can locate that source for brown ribbons.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

It was a looong time ago. I used them on a Star Dot Matrix printer, which was designed to use Corona typewriter ribbons. I also had a green and a blue. I think I bought them at a local mom and pop stationary store, before the big box stores invaded town.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home