Monday, November 28, 2016

Rituals of Re-Enactment

P1120401a
Typecast265

Post-Script: I'm a newbie to this whole organizing an event thing, so I've lots of learning in store. But there are some good resources available, such as Ted Munk's excellent Type-In page.

Albuquerque's a funny town. It's hard to predict the response to a Type-In event. News of popular fads and new customs seems to travel here slower than one might expect, inland from the west coast to the high desert. We're usually a few years behind everyone else when it comes to popular culture; although the Internet-based media has helped to reduce the delay.

In my rounds today I stopped in to Field and Frame for a roll of black gaffers tape and talked to Alan Fulford about my ABQ Type-In fliers. He was interested, and permitted me to leave a few for his customers. He also mentioned he had several manual typewriters in the back room. I took a look at one, an Olivetti Lettera 35, that has dirty type slugs and needs a new ribbon. I'm going to bring one by on my next visit, with perhaps a little kit to service his machine. He also has (are you ready for this?) an Olympia SG-1! OMG! It turns out that Alan tweets typewritten poems to his friends. Who woulda thunk?

Typecast via Facit 1620.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger emma.thegoodlife said...

Sounds like everything's coming along very nicely, after that birth of a brilliant idea to organize the ABQ Type-in.
Sending you my very best wishes, from across the miles and as always, thank you for sharing.

Sincerely,
Emma

P.S.: As always, I enjoy your TWVS and reading your typecasts (the Facit 1620 types beautifully, by the way). :)

6:52 PM  
Blogger Ted said...

Bravo! new type-in epicenter! I look forward to the revolutionaries you will find in town with your recruiting efforts :D

6:03 AM  
Blogger SteveK said...

Beat-lit and a BLT! Sounds very enjoyable. Good luck with the ABQ type-in.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Richard P said...

Good for you! I hope the ABQ type-in comes to pass, and will do my part to promote it when it does.

I enjoyed creating a Beat novelist (Kitty Lee Harris) for my project last month.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home