Tuesday, June 07, 2016

On Re-Typing

P1000463a
Typecast174

Post-Script: I'm not certain the analogy is perfectly apt, but I see re-typing as similar to noodling on a guitar using sheet music of some popular song; a cover-tune, attempting to walk in someone's footsteps, not for the purpose of simulation; more like emulation, honoring their art and craft in the knowing that, in the case of authors from the mid-20th century, they too most likely were perched in front of some similar typing iron, fingers banging away on keys. You get a sense of the work that went into the final piece. I certainly felt that as I typed this favorite excerpt of mine from Kerouac's On the Road, wherein you can almost hear the music and smell the aroma of the smoke-filled nightclubs.

"Here were the children of the American bop night." What a wonderful turn of phrase.

Photo via Lumix GH3, typecast via Underwood Universal.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a great analogy, Joe. I was thinking recently of retyping an excerpt or two from Thomas Hardy. You can download such (wonderful in my view) 19th century literature for free on a Kindle. So we can take advantage of new technology to enable old technology. :)

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home