Monday, February 20, 2017

Firmness of Intent

To Be Filed
Typecast275

Post-Script: Perhaps I'm wasting opportunity by writing random nonsense while test-typing, instead of something more worthwhile like memorizing and typing the Gettysburg Address, or one of the Articles of Confederation, or a bible verse. But I see it as an opportunity to test my creative mettle while engaged in typewriter maintenance, a kind of right-brain/left-brain mashup. And I've come up with some funny stuff, some of which isn't appropriate for mixed company.

One thing I enjoy about building up a backlog of papers waiting to be filed is the pleasure that comes from reading back through those pieces and rediscovering them anew. I'm going to make a point of revisiting my old writings more often, for inspiration if for no other reason.

Today I spent some time organizing my typewriter collection, in preparation for an interview to be conducted tomorrow. I won't say anything else about it for now, but will update you when appropriate. I attached tags to all of my typewriter cases, so they can be more easily identified; some of those mid-20th century, medium-sized portable look very similar in their cases.

Typecast via Brother Charger 11. Yes, it's a stripped-down student's model, lacking tabs, touch adjustment or a repeat spacer. But it is solidly made and types fine; and is very portable, a pleasure to take out to the front patio on a cool winter day.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bill M said...

Ah! The 'to be filed' file. I have at least one of those, and when I decide to organize all the papers into binders I end up with piles all over the floor and sometimes invading the entire house! You should see my test typing. I find all kinds of nonsensical typings. Sometimes I even find incomplete typecasts. I started tagging my typewriters and cases when I started having more than one of the same model, and my collection grew enough that I could not keep track of the manufacturing dates.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Ted said...

you are so organized! :D
everything I've typed in the last couple of years lives in a plastic tub under the table next to my desk. The day I get around to filing it will be an amusing archaeological dig. Godspeed with your interview - let us know how it goes! (:

8:15 AM  
Blogger Joe V said...

My house is small, so I have that as incentive to keep it *somewhat* organized.

One more item now taking up space is your typewriter repair bible ... well done, sir!

The interview went fine, I'll post something soon.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Walter said...

Excellent! Hang onto that prose piece, it's great. My "to be filed" file is a raucous pile of clutter that systematically gets sorted when all available flat surfaces on the second floor are covered. ~TH~

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home